Sticking to a fitness regimen (a.k.a. commitment) has been proven to be the absolute most challenging thing for people who constantly seek to shape up. It’s the reason why fitness is a multi-billion dollar industry and it’s not about to decrease anytime soon.
So why do so many people, possibly including you, fail with health and fitness goals? There are a few reasons why, but one of the biggest reasons is the “Buy In”. In other words, you need to have a powerful reason to get in shape and be willing to put in the blood, sweat, and tears necessary to make it a reality.
Here are six ways that you can avoid fitness failure and make your Body Sculpting goals a reality:
1. Create a scare tactic for yourself. For instance, tie your reason for getting into shape to a fact such as, if you don’t shape up, you’ll likely end up getting sick and will die young. Admit to yourself that if you don’t take care of yourself, your family will likely lose you.
2. Find an accountability partner. Choosing a training partner who has similar goals as you is a great way to stay in the game and to make your goals a reality.
3. Make sure that your regimen includes the “Five Muscular Tiers.” They are: Resistance Training, Cardiovascular Training, Nutrition, Supplementation, and Rest and Recuperation.
4. Don’t start your fitness regimen on New Year’s Day. It’s a trend and trends end. Start it either before or after the holiday. Even a week apart is better than starting on that infamous day of destined fitness failures!
5. Be realistic with your goals. If you shoot too high, you could easily become frustrated and quit. Shoot for a doable goal. For example, “I will lose three pounds by the end of this week” or “I will take my treadmill training to another level this week by increasing the speed by 1/2 MPH and adding a one-grade incline.”
6. Make a pact with your family members. If you don’t, self sabotage is imminent. If you all make fitness a part of your lives, all of your lives will surely be enriched.
Reprinted with permission from The Body Sculpting Bible for Men. ISBN: 978-1-57826-400-1 $24.95 (paperback including DVD). From Hatherleigh Press. Distributed by Random House.