This versatile muffin recipe can be made at any time of year with fresh or frozen fruit, and is a perfect way to highlight whatever fruit is in season.
For similar recipes highlighting farm-fresh produce, check out The Catskills Farm to Table Cookbook by Courtney Wade.
1¾ cups flour
⅓ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
¾ cup milk
¼ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup fresh blueberries
1 teaspoon lemon zest
½ cup rolled oats
½ cup butter, melted
¼ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Lightly grease muffin tin or line with baking cups.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and ¼ teaspoon salt.
4. Make a well in the center.
5. Combine egg, milk, and oil in a separate bowl.
6. Add the combined wet ingredients to flour mixture.
7. Stir until just moistened.
8. Fold in blueberries and lemon zest.
9. Fill muffin cups until almost full.
10. Spoon topping mixture over batter.
11. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
12. Remove from pan and serve warm.